ORGANISATION/COMPANYTallinn University of Technology
RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Marine technology
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/02/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tallinn
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
The objective of the professorship is to lead and carry out the study, scientific and development processes in the field of Marine Technology, to develop and introduce complex solutions and platforms for digitalization of shipping (autonomous and unmanned vessels included), and achieve international visibility in this field. Initiation of development projects with Estonian and international corresponding leading organizations and enhancing the capabilities for acquiring high-level scientific projects. We seek an individual with high-level academic expertise and a track record in research on marine technology. The position may be filled as tenured Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor or as a tenure track position, depending on the candidate’s merits and career stage.
- Developing, starting and leading scientific and development projects in cooperation with international consortiums;
- Working out and introducing, in cooperation with stakeholders and allied bodies, the requirements for ensuring safety and practical solutions for autonomous and unmanned vessels during voyage and while in ports;
- Participating in the development of the legal regulation for digitalization of shipping (autonomous and unmanned vessels included) in compliance with the maritime law, on inner state and on international level;
- Development of study programs with specialization of digitalization in shipping and autonomous and unmanned vessels, including development of corresponding doctoral study;
- Teaching, including engagement in the MSc teaching programs;
- Mentoring of MSc and PhD students and supervising of theses/dissertations;
- Supervising of scientific projects, applying for funding and creating the material and technical base;
- Publishing of articles in internationally acknowledged scientific journals, carrying out presentations at scientific conferences.
- Finding competent experts for carrying out study, scientific and development work, ensuring continuity of academic personnel;
- Contributing to updating of in-house training, so that the present workforce would be trained according to the developments in the field;
- Self-improvement, i.e. developing the knowledge and skills necessary for research and studies;
- Participating in the work of the internal and external decision-making bodies and commissions of the Tallinn University of Technology.
The following application documents are required (in English):
documents proving that the candidate holds the required academic degree (PhD or an equivalent qualification) and has acquired the required education;
a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
an academic portfolio;
a vision or an action plan for the following period of employment;
other documents considered to be important by the applicant.
Documents should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Estonian Maritime Academy of Tallinn University of Technology offers:
- Gross salary to a successful candidate starting from 37,000 € a year;
- Access to relevant infrastructure;
- Flexible work schedule.
TTÜ as an employer offers
settling-in program and academic mentoring;
modern ergonomic working conditions and a flexible schedule;
one of the most compact university campuses in Europe;
campus services (including accommodation);
individual development and training opportunities;
material and non-material tokens of acknowledgement;
all-staff activities and a balanced work and family life.
Tallinn University of Technology (TTÜ) is an international scientific community with 12,000 students and approximately 2,000 employees. The strengths of the university are wide multidisciplinary study/research interests, modern research and study environment as well as good collaboration with international educational and research institutions.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELTechnology: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- PhD in the field of shipping, marine technology/innovation, naval architecture or marine engineering and preferably seafaring experience as an ship’s officer;
- Experience of independent scientific work on international level;
- Publication record that proves ability for high quality independent research;
- Proof of ability to apply for and obtain funding from national as well as international sources;
- Experience in teaching and supervising at all levels (BSc, MSc and PhD level).
EURAXESS offer ID: 298333