Entry conditions and residence permits for Estonia

Living in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Estonia

Different rules about residence and work in Estonia apply to citizens of the EU and to citizens of third countries. The length of their stay also influences which rules they must follow.

  • EU citizens can enter Estonia without a visa, but if they stay for more than 3 months, they should register their place of residence and apply for an ID-card.
  • Citizens of third countries may need a visa for short-stay visits (up to 12 months) and/or need a residence permit for employment for long-term work (more than 12 months) in Estonia.

For citizens of third countries:

  • Short stay <12 months - you will need a visa: a short-stay visa (Schengen visa) (type C) or a long-stay visa (type D) (valid up to 12 months!)
  • Longer stay >12 months - you will need a residence permit for employment, research or study (PhD students)

Applications for visas, residence permits or residence permits for employment should be submitted personally to a diplomatic representation of the Republic of Estonia or to a service office of the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board (PBGB).  Registration of one’s place of residence is necessary in the case of longer visits for both EU citizens and citizens of third countries.


visa roadmap

Roadmap: visas & entry conditions

See this first! This is your map of steps for entering the county.




Migration advice

Migration Advice

The Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board offers migration advice free of charge by phone, Skype, e-mail and by appointments to individuals and institutions.